Sunday, July 27, 2008

The Transformation...

We have lived in this house for a little over 16 years and have not painted the inside of our house (except Gabby's room and her bathroom, oh yeah and Scott's office.). The only decorating that I've done has been stencilling. And pretty much all of the house has or has had a stencil at one time. We have talked about the fact that we need to paint but haven't done anything about it until now. It started out the week before Mother's Day when my mom and I were in the fabric store looking for some ribbon for my step-sisters shower and I walked past the decorator fabric. I found this fabric that I fell in love with so I ended up going back the next day and buying enough to re-cover my dining room chairs and make a valance for the dining room window. Then of course the fabric didn't match the stencil that I had above it and it looked bad so of course I wanted to paint and since I had family coming over for Mother's Day I wanted to do it right away. So we called our friend Laurece to come over and see what she thought. We picked out some colors but of course there wasn't enough time to do the job right before Mother's Day (this conversation happened the Thursday before). So we picked out the colors and this past Friday and Saturday we painted.
















We were able to complete the living room and dining room and part of the entryway. Scott did most of the painting. He started on Friday and edged the ceiling and then rolled the first coat on it then Saturday he finished the second coat on the ceiling and rolled all of the beige walls (both coats). Laurece edged all of the walls and I rolled the green on in between trips to get lunch and Starbucks :).

All in all we are pleased with it! I'm not 100% sure about the green color. It changes with the lighting so we'll see what eventually we decide. Scott was very gracious when I came out this morning and said I thought it might be too pastel. We'll finish the rest of the house and then decide if we want to change the green to a darker shade.

Enjoy the pictures and we'll post more as we make progress with the rest of the house. Also go check out Laurece's blog with pictures of the wonderful murals she has done. http://rustingawayinwashington.blogspot.com/

5 comments:

Gramma Carol said...

The green seems to look different in different lightings. You probably ought to give it a little while to get used to the change. Whenever I got a new piece of furniture, it took awhile to feel "right".

This is so much work. My niece just painted their house and, between your blog and hers, I'm getting more and more cowardly about painting my walls! Maybe smudgy fingerprints will come into vogue if I wait long enough.

Chris Kaatz said...

I like the green color. Give it awhile. Now I am getting motivated to paint!!

Anonymous said...

I like it can't wait to see it on Thursday in person. The chairs and curtains look good to. We do good work don't we.

Love you and I think when you hang pictures and etc you will like it.

Love mom

Christina Johnson said...

It's looks good! Love the fabric too!

Jon & Jen said...

Well, I really like it. I think the pastels are a nice complement to the fabric.

Good job!