Today I had my annual appointment with the eye doctor which typically is very uneventful. However...today's trip was more interesting than most or I guess that I should say after the appointment was more eventful than most.
I went in at 10:00 for my appointment and the doctor did a preliminary exam with my contacts in then with them out and then at about 10:30 he put the eye drops in to dilate my pupils so that he could do the exam where they shine the really bright light in your eye and look at all the insides to see how healthy (or not) your eyes are. Well our doctor has a tendency to talk to himself while he's doing your exam so some times it's hard tell whether he's talking to you or himself. In this case I guess he was talking to me but I wasn't sure and I wasn't paying close enough attention. He said something about dilating my eyes and that every two years they do the "super dilation" but then he went on to talk about when I last had that done and if he thought he should wait until next time or do it this time and anyway you get the gist of why I wasn't listening as carefully as I should have. It turns out that he decided to do the "super dilation" I didn't realize this until he had already put the drops in my eyes. So of course the exam went fine until I went to leave and he hands me my prescriptions and is pointing something out on them and I look at him and say "I can't read that". He replies "Oh well that will wear off in a few hours". A FEW HOURS!!! I think. Then he says "yeah it's like having night vision and the close up stuff will be fuzzy but it will wear off after a while."
Great I think I'm supposed to meet my mom at the Super Wal-Mart in 15 minutes. So I thank the doctor and head out to my car where I immediately put on my sunglasses, even though it's overcast outside. I decide I can see well enough to drive, but I can't really clearly see the clock on my dashboard or my speedometer. So I head for Wal-Mart and things are pretty uneventful until I arrive. I get there and park and realize that I had told my mom that I would call her when I got there and we could meet up and do our shopping. Unfortunately I realize I can't read ANYTHING on my phone, so how am I going to call her??? I think well maybe I can call Scott because I have the Fave 5 on T-mobile and I can just push one button to reach him, but then realize that he doesn't have the number of the cell phone she is carrying. So I sit there trying to figure out what to do. I pushed a button on my phone to see if I could get to my phone book and try to scroll through it only to once again be frustrated that I can't read anything.
Well at this point I'm about to panic a bit and I look up and right outside my door is the Administrative Deacon from our church, Kevin, and his son. I open my door and don't even say hi I say "God sent you hear to help me!!" He kind of looks at me like that is one of the strangest greeting anyone has given me. (It's a good thing that he works with me on a daily basis or he probably would have really wondered about me. He already knows I'm a bit crazy anyway).
Ok so he says "why"? So I proceed to explain my eye doctor and the drops and how I can't see my mom's number and ask him to help me. He takes the phone and says "this says do you want to delete your contacts". To which of course I reply "NO". Then his wife walks up with their baby and I of course have to explain the whole story again. So by this time Kevin has found my phone book and proceeds to scroll through everyone until he gets to the number that I need.
They then proceed into the store and I call my mom. She meets me at the door and I pull out my list only to realize that I can't read it so we proceed to do our shopping with Mom trying to read my chicken scratch of a list and me picking things up and asking her what the label says. I'm sure that we must have made quite the spectacle or at least provided some entertainment for anyone watching.
It was quite the adventure, or not.
By the way the drops finally fully wore off at around 5:00 tonight.
Moral of the story....make sure if the doctor is going to "super dilate" your eyes that you don't have to do anything where you have to see close up or small things at least for several hours afterward. :)
3 comments:
I just thank God that he took good care of you and got you to the store safely. He got us together and wasn't that amasing that someone you new would come to your aid. We done well shopping at least the sales slips reflected that. I am glad the drops wore off and now I am dreading my eye appointment. Love mom
Haha! OH, MY! I thought I was the only one who had goofy things like that happen! Join the club, girlfriend!
I'm glad you were able to at least drive safely! How cool was it that Kevin showed up right then...blessings like that are frequently happening around these parts these days. Pretty great, huh!
It obviously wasn't as enjoyable for you today as the story was for me just now :o)
Thanks for the laugh!
Post a Comment